Have U-Pass, Will Travel
Parking at MacEwan University’s City Centre Campus is scarce and not necessarily afforadable for students. The U-Pass is SAMU’s helpful alternative to driving and dealing with these parking predicaments. In partnership with Edmonton Transit, Strathcona County, St. Albert Transit, Leduc Transit, Fort Sask Transit and Spruce Grove, the U-Pass is an affordable way for MacEwan students to get around during the school year.
Effective January, 2017, the U-Pass is expanding to include Leduc, Fort Saskatchewan and Spruce Grove, ensuring all MacEwan students have an opportunity to get to school on time and at an afforadable rate. This is a mandatory fee, and even students who’ve got wheels are encouraged to take advantage of this privilege.
Please be aware that there are changes coming to Park & Ride stations at Clareview, Belvedere, Stadium and Century Park. Please visit the ETS Paid Parking Web Page for more info!
Where to Get Your U-Pass
Pick-up your U-Pass from the SAM Centre (City Centre Campus, 6-108) or your local SAMU Office (Alberta College Campus, Rm. 142 and Centre for the Arts Campus, Rm. 153).
Why is the U-Pass Mandatory?
Well, it’s a matter of economy; buses rely on passengers to recover costs. We realize not every student at MacEwan is interested in the U-Pass, for the U-Pass price to remain low, all students must participate in the program.
MacEwan students voted 73% in favour of the mandatory U-Pass pilot program in the March 2007 referendum, 78% in favour of the mandatory U-Pass program in the March 2010 referendum and a 77% approval in the March 2013 referendum. Students will have a chance to vote on the U-Pass this March in the 2017 refereudum!
U-Pass Terms & Regulations
U-Passes are non-transferable, which means you are the only person who is allowed to use it; you are not permitted to share or sell it. If this rule is violated and your U-Pass is confiscated, your U-Pass privileges may be revoked by the City of Edmonton and your U-Pass fee will not be refunded. U-Pass stickers remain the property of The City of Edmonton, including those affixed to an ID card.
Terms and Conditions of the U-Pass
– The U-Pass is not valid until the U-Pass sticker is affixed to the proper location on the MacEwan student ID
– The U-Pass is non-transferable and may only be used by the student to whom the U-Pass is issued
– Edmonton Transit, Strathcona Transit and St. Albert Transit reserve the right to verify the validity of any student’s U-Pass
– A student who fails to comply with the rules, regulations, policies and bylaws of Edmonton Transit, Strathcona Transit or St. Albert Transit respecting ridership may have his/her ridership privileges revoked without refund of the U-Pass Fee
– Edmonton Transit, Strathcona Transit, St. Albert Transit, Leduc Transit, Fort Sask Transit and Spruce Grove Transit reserve the right to modify their respective transit routes and schedules
– The fall term U-Pass sticker is valid from September 1 – December 31; the winter term U-Pass sticker is valid from January 1 – April 30; and the spring/summer term is valid from May 1 – August 31. A new sticker is required for each term
A new sticker is required for each term – to get the most from your U-Pass, pick up your sticker as soon as they become available, regardless of when your classes start.
PLEASE NOTE: Transit Services provide no grace period for the U-Pass. You must have the proper sticker attached to your ID card prior to using transit. If you do not have the sticker, be prepared to pay. The fine for fare evasion on Edmonton Transit is $250.
Students who are exclusively in online credit courses will automatically be opted-out out of the U-Pass program. The following special circumstances are able to waive the U-Pass fee:
– A student who has a DATS, SCAT or St. Albert Handibus registration
– A student who has a valid CNIB registration
– A student in a co-op or practicum program who is taking no on-campus credit courses lasting more than eight consecutive weeks of a term, and who is also fulfilling their course requirement outside the boundaries of the participating Municipalities for the majority of that school term
– A student who is enrolled at another institution participating in the U-Pass Program
Forms can be picked up in the SAM Centre or your local SAMU office
Lost or Stolen U-Pass
If your U-Pass is lost or stolen and you wish to purchase a new one SAMU is doing a Pilot Pro-rated U-Pass Replacement as follows:
For Fall 2016 Stickers
U-Pass Rate effective Sept 1, 2016 is $162.50/term
|Prior to Oct 1||@100% of rate: $170.00|
|October 1 – 31||@75% of rate: $127.50|
|November 1 – 30||@50% of rate: $85.00|
|December 1 – 31||@25% of rate: $42.50|
To cover inflating transit costs, the U-Pass increases $7.50 per year.
• 2014-2015 – $155.00
• 2015-2016 – $162.50
• 2016-2017 – $170.00
Last But Not Least
The U-Pass can be claimed as a tax credit under the Federal Transit Tax credit, the receipt is available each February on myStudentSystem.
view next student service