On October 4th and 5th, part-time MacEwan students (any student who is taking 1 – 8 credits) will vote on whether they be included in the SAMU Health and Dental plan. Voting will take place in conjunction with Students’ Council elections, and can be voted on through your mymacewan email, myPortal or at the roaming polling stations on campus.
What is The Flexible Benefits Plan?
The Flexible Benefits Plan is offered to full-time MacEwan students, and allows students to choose coverage to suit their needs. View the different options and the form to FLEX here.
The Health & Dental plan costs approximately $116 per semester, and is assessed and paid along with tuition fees.
SAMU also offers a default health and dental plan for full-time students who do not wish be part of the FLEX program, which includes:
- 80% of prescription drug costs, up to $3,000 a year.
- 80% of supplemental health costs (massage, psychologist, and physio). Some conditions apply.
- 100% of one dental exam per year, if you visit a dentist listed under the plan. 70% of one dental exam per year, if you use an alternative dentist. More information here.
- $750 maximum in dental coverage per year. Need more Dental specifics?
- 100% for vision care to a maximum of $100 for glasses or contact lenses every 24 months, as well as a maximum of $60 every 24 months for an eye exam.
- plus other benefits.
Opting Out and In
Students are able to easily opt out of the plan online if they already have comparable insurance. Once you opt out, you will no longer be covered SAMU’s health and dental plan. But don’t worry – if something changes and you want your coverage back, students can opt back in.
Find out more on the SAMU Health and Dental Plan for students.