We are looking for three enthusiastic, skilled students to write and edit stories for the griff magazine over the 2019-20 fall and winter terms. After establishing our voice as a monthly, we’re looking to assemble a team that can help take this magazine to the next level – not only in terms of student publications, but also in Canadian journalism.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Editing and writing feature stories (1,000 to 3,000 words) for print
- Editing and writing shorter articles for the web
- Mentoring the griff volunteers
- Conducting interviews and research
- Working with a team of seven other editors and a large number of volunteers
- Attending weekly editor and volunteer meetings
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Strong editing, writing, and mentoring skills
- Strong understanding of journalism ethics and the field as a whole
- Desire to write stories about various topics, focused on MacEwan or student interest
- Knowledge of CP Style
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Educational background in journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- Skills in photography would be an asset
- Published writing would be an asset
- Must be a current MacEwan University student
Terms of Employment
- Maximum 15 hours per week. Will work around student schedules. Training will start in August, including two or more 35-hour weeks.
- Please attach or link to three pieces of writing in your application.
- We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.