Job Category | Part-time
Wage | $20 – $30 an hour
Location of Work | City Centre Campus
Posting expires September 30 at 11:59 p.m.
Students’ Association of MacEwan University (SAMU) is a student-centered organization governed by students, for students. In short, that means every MacEwan student is considered part of the Students’ Association.
The Association is its own organization; acting within MacEwan, while maintaining independence from the University. It is an organization serving students, inspired by students.
The Bookkeeper reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for the day-to-day, full cycle bookkeeping of the Association while maintaining compliance with general accepted accounting principles (GAAP). He/She will assist the Director of Finance with all aspects of financial record keeping and operations.
Summary of Responsibilities
Full Cycle Accounting
- Reconcile operating bank account monthly
- Record weekly bank deposits
- Prepare cheques for vendors, suppliers and employee expenses for signing and distribution
- Create invoices
- Reconcile employee credit card summaries monthly
- Post journal/adjusting entries
- Assist with annual audit and other reporting requirements
- Respond to inquiries and requests
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Other duties as required
- Employee account set up and maintenance in SAGE 50
- Process payroll for full time and part time staff in an accurate and timely manner
- Submit payroll remittances on time
- Assist in preparing T4’s
Maintain employee benefit information
- Add new employees to plan
- Delete terminated employees
- Process changes to employees plans (addition or deletion of dependents, etc.)
- Provide answers to employee questions/concerns regarding their health and dental plan
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education, certificate or diploma in bookkeeping, business or a combination of education or experience
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience in full-cycle bookkeeping
- Proficient in SAGE 50
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, written, and oral
- Experience with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Outlook and Word
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere to established plans, policies and procedures
- Detail-oriented, ability to multi-task and to adapt to change and work under high-paced and stressful environments
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism
- Specific experience working in post-secondary or non-profit environments, and experience working with students considered an asset
Terms of Employment
Up to 30 hours a week between 8:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.
Please address your cover letter and resume to:
Joanne Ng, BCom, CPA, CGA, Director of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.