Job Category | Part-time, Contract (15 hours/week, August 2018 – April 30, 2019)
Wage | $15/hour
Location of Work | City Centre Campus (CCC)
Posting expires June 1, 2018 at 4 p.m.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled student to proofread, copy edit and fact check stories for the griff magazine over the 2018-19 fall and winter terms. After establishing our voice as a monthly, we’re looking to assemble a team that can help take this magazine to the next level – not only in terms of student publications, but also in Canadian journalism.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Proofreading and meticulously editing feature stories (1,000 to 3,000 words)
- Proofreading, editing, and writing shorter articles for the web
- Mentoring the griff volunteers
- Working with a team of seven other editors and a large number of volunteers
- Attending weekly editor and volunteer meetings
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Strong editing, writing, and mentoring skills
- Strong understanding of journalism ethics and the field as a whole
- Attention to detail; ability to edit for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and clarity
- Desire to write stories about various topics, focused on MacEwan or student interest
- Knowledge of CP Style
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Educational background in journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- Skills in photography would be an asset
- Published writing would be an asset
- Must be a current MacEwan University student
Terms of Employment
Maximum 15 hours/week. Will work around student schedule. Training will start in August, including two or more 35-hour weeks.
Please email application to Megan Lockhart, Managing Editor of the griff, at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter, resumé, and three pieces of writing.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.