We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled student to proofread, copy edit and fact check stories for the griff magazine over the 2019-20 fall and winter terms. After establishing our voice as a monthly, we’re looking to assemble a team that can help take this magazine to the next level – not only in terms of student publications, but also in Canadian journalism.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Proofreading and meticulously editing feature stories (1,000 to 3,000 words)
- Proofreading, editing, and writing shorter articles for the web
- Mentoring the griff volunteers
- Working with a team of seven other editors and a large number of volunteers
- Attending weekly editor and volunteer meetings
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Strong editing, writing, and mentoring skills
- Strong understanding of journalism ethics and the field as a whole
- Attention to detail; ability to edit for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and clarity
- Desire to write stories about various topics, focused on MacEwan or student interest
- Knowledge of CP Style
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Educational background in journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- Skills in photography would be an asset
- Published writing would be an asset
- Must be a current MacEwan University student
Terms of Employment
- Maximum 15 hours per week. Will work around student schedule. Training will start in August, including two or more 35-hour weeks.
- Please attach or link to three pieces of writing with your application. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.