Job Category | Part-time, Contract (15 hours/week, August 2018 – April 30, 2019)
Wage | $16/hour
Location of Work | City Centre Campus (CCC)
Posting expires June 1,2018 at 4 p.m.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled student to proofread, copy edit and fact check stories for the griff magazine over the 2018-19 fall and winter terms. After establishing our voice as a monthly magazine, we’re looking to assemble a team that can help take this magazine to the next level – not only in terms of student publications, but also in Canadian journalism.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Posting stories on our website
- Updating our social media accounts daily, scheduling posts
Mentoring the griff volunteers
- Working with a team of seven other editors and a large number of volunteers
- Attending weekly editor and volunteer meetings
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Proficiency in WordPress, Hootsuite, Slack, and the main social media platforms
- Strong understanding of journalism ethics and the field as a whole
- Attention to detail; ability to edit for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and clarity
- Desire to write stories about various topics, focused on MacEwan or student interest
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Educational background in journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- Skills in photography would be an asset
- Must be a current MacEwan University student
Terms of Employment
Maximum 15 hours/week. Will work around student schedule. Training will start in August, including two or more 35-hour weeks.
Please email application to Megan Lockhart, Managing Editor of the griff, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a cover letter, resumé, evidence of your web skills (this can include classes you’ve taken about social media and web publishing, work you’ve done on a website, etc.) and at least one improvement you’d make to any of our social media accounts.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.