We are looking for an enthusiastic, skilled student to run various social media accounts and a website for the griff magazine over the 2019-20 fall and winter terms. After establishing our voice as a monthly magazine, we’re looking to assemble a team that can help take this magazine to the next level – not only in terms of student publications, but also in Canadian journalism.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Posting stories on our website
- Updating our social media accounts daily, scheduling posts
- Mentoring the griff volunteers
- Working with a team of seven other editors and a large number of volunteers
- Attending weekly editor and volunteer meetings
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Proficiency in WordPress, Hootsuite, Slack, and the main social media platforms
- Strong understanding of journalism ethics and the field as a whole
- Attention to detail; ability to edit for spelling, grammar, punctuation, and clarity
- Desire to write stories about various topics, focused on MacEwan or student interest
- Must be able to meet deadlines
- Educational background in journalism, communications or equivalent experience
- Skills in photography would be an asset
- Must be a current MacEwan University student
Terms of Employment
- Maximum 15 hours per week. Will work around student schedules. Training will start in August, including two or more 35-hour weeks.
- Please attach or link to evidence of your web skills (this can include classes you’ve taken about social media and web publishing, work you’ve done on a website, etc.) and at least one improvement you’d make to any of our social media accounts in your application.
- We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.