***U-Pass Update (as of June 22, 2020)***
No U-Pass was assessed for the Spring/Summer term as all classes were moved online and April to June transit was free. However, as of June 15 ETS has resumed fare collections and all other participating municipalities will follow suit early next month (check city transit websites for more information).
With ETS starting fare collection in the middle of the month, they are allowing students to use their Winter 2020 U-Pass as payment for June 15-30, 2020.
From July 1, 2020 until August 25, 2020 students who are eligible will have the following options in place of having no U-Pass:
- For students 24 and under, ETS offers discounted Youth monthly passes and discounted tickets, and some municipal transit partners also offer discounts to students.
- For low-income students, ETS offers the Ride Transit program and some municipal transit partners offer low-income programs as well.
- For students who are seniors, ETS and most municipal transit partners offer free or discounted Seniors monthly passes.
For all other students, the regular fare will be in place. We will continue to update you on U-Pass information as we learn more.
What is the U-Pass?
Parking at MacEwan University’s City Centre Campus is scarce and not necessarily affordable for students. The U-Pass is SAMU’s helpful alternative to driving and dealing with these parking predicaments. In partnership with Edmonton, Strathcona County, St. Albert, Leduc, Fort Saskatchewan, and Spruce Grove Transit, the U-Pass is an affordable way for MacEwan students to get around during the school year. The U-Pass is available to all students who are enrolled in at least one credit course at MacEwan University. Students are assessed each term if they are in an on-campus program and an on-campus class.
Where to Get Your U-Pass
U-Pass is not being offered for the 2020 Spring/Summer Semesters.
Why is the U-Pass Mandatory?
Well, it’s a matter of economy; buses rely on passengers to recover costs. We realize not every student at MacEwan is interested in the U-Pass, but for the U-Pass price to remain low, all students must participate in the program.
U-Pass Terms & Regulations
The U-Pass is not valid until the U-Pass sticker is affixed to the proper location on the MacEwan student ID.
The U-Pass is non-transferable and may only be used by the student to whom the U-Pass is issued, which means you are the only person who is allowed to use it; you are not permitted to share or sell it. If this rule is violated and your U-Pass is confiscated, your U-Pass privileges may be revoked and your U-Pass fee will not be refunded. U-Pass stickers remain the property of The City of Edmonton, including those affixed to an ID card.
Edmonton Transit, Strathcona Transit, St. Albert Transit, Leduc Transit, Fort Saskatchewan Transit, and Spruce Grove Transit reserve the right to verify the validity of any student’s U-Pass
A student who fails to comply with the rules, regulations, policies and bylaws of Edmonton Transit, Strathcona Transit or St. Albert Transit respecting ridership may have his/her ridership privileges revoked without refund of the U-Pass Fee
Edmonton Transit, Strathcona Transit, St. Albert Transit, Leduc Transit, Fort Sask Transit and Spruce Grove Transit reserve the right to modify their respective transit routes and schedules
Fall term U-Pass sticker is valid from August 25 – December 31.
Winter term U-Pass sticker is valid from January 1 – April 30.
Spring/summer term is valid from May 1 – August 31.
A new sticker is required for each term – to get the most from your U-Pass, pick up your sticker as soon as they become available, regardless of when your classes start.
PLEASE NOTE: Transit Services provide no grace period for the U-Pass. You must have the proper sticker attached to your ID card prior to using transit. If you do not have the sticker, be prepared to pay. The fine for fare evasion on Edmonton Transit is $250.
- Students who are exclusively in online credit courses will automatically be opted-out out of the U-Pass program. The following special circumstances are able to waive the U-Pass fee:
- A student with a valid disabled transit registration
- A student with a valid CNIB registration
- A student in a co-op or practicum program who is taking no on-campus credit courses lasting more than eight consecutive weeks of a term, and who is also fulfilling their course requirement outside the boundaries of the participating Municipalities for the majority of that school term
- A student who is also assessed the U-pass at either U of A, NAIT, or NorQuest
- An employee of one of the participating transit systems
- A full-time and continuing employee of MacEwan including Faculty
- Forms can be picked up at your local SAMU office.
The current U-Pass agreement lasts until 2021. Annual fees were frozen at $170/term until 2019, and will now increase by $5 for each of the last two years.
2018/2019 – $170
2019/2020 – $175
2020/2021 – $180
Lost or Stolen U-Pass
If your U-Pass is lost or stolen and you wish to purchase a new one, SAMU is doing a Pilot Pro-rated U-Pass Replacement as follows:
|REPLACEMENT PERIOD||REPLACEMENT COST|
|First month||@100% of rate: $175.00|
|Second month||@75% of rate: $131.25|
|Third month||@50% of rate: $87.50|
|Final month||@25% of rate: $43.75|