Wellbeing blogs are written by the SAMU Wellbeing Assistant, Lauren Rundell.
Economic Wellbeing is the ability to make informed economic choices and feel a sense of security, satisfaction, and personal fulfillment in one’s finances and economic pursuits.
Maintaining economic wellbeing as a student can be challenging. It’s important to be aware of your finances, where they come from and where they go to add stability to your life as you pursue your education. Some ways to make some extra money as a student include:
- Get a Paper Route
- Getting a paper route is a very easy way to make extra money during the year, plus you get exercise too!
- Sell Old Belongings
- As the saying goes, one person’s trash in another person’s treasure. Rather than tossing them, you can sell them either online on platforms like Facebook Marketplace or Kijiji. Selling unwanted items eliminates unnecessary clutter in your home, gives you some extra cash and is better for the environment!
- Find Easy Short-Term Gigs
- Whether it’s seasonal activities such as shovelling, mowing lawns, etc., or tutoring or part-time contracted work to do on top of your regular job, there are lots of options for part-time work to help support your wallet.
- Monetize Your Hobby
- Obviously, the point of developing a hobby isn’t just for monetary purposes, but it doesn’t hurt either. If you do something crafty like fine art, knitting, embordering, etc., you can sell your creations online on websites like etsy.com. If you have a unique skill like playing an instrument or computer programming, you can give lessons on the basics. This method lets you get creative and choose something you’re passionate about to share with others and, let’s not forget, to make money doing it.
- Apply for Scholarships, Awards and Bursaries
- This may seem obvious for students, but many students don’t apply for scholarships even when they should. Scholarships are a great way to supplement your income, help take some financial strain off your academics, and are great to put on your resume!
- Level UP from MacEwan Careers and Experience
- Level UP is a program that lets students work on short-term projects, using skills they already have, and get paid to do it. Projects can be completed by either be individuals or groups and are a great way to build your resume and network. FAQs can be found at https://www.riipen.com/levelup/students.