The U-pass is a group discount program that provides MacEwan Students unlimited access to regular transit service in Edmonton, St. Albert, Strathcona County, Fort Saskatchewan, Spruce Grove, Leduc and Beaumont.
GET READY! ACTIVATE YOUR WINTER U-PASS TODAY.
Please note: Only plastic Arc cards (starting with 6090150001) will be accepted, paper tickets will be rejected.
NEED AN ARC CARD? SAMU PROVIDES FREE ARC CARDS TO FIRST TIME STUDENTS WHILE QUANTITIES LAST*:
- January 2 – 12: 2nd Floor SAMU Building, by the Stairs, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- January 15 and onward: SA-301, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
* SAMU HAS LIMITED FREE ARC CARDS. Priority will go to students who have not received a card previously. Students are required to show proof of their first time using the ARC card on their MyStudentSystem. Students who have received an ARC card from SAMU before will be required to purchase a replacement. ARC Cards may be purchased from SAMU at SA-301 during business hours, or at various locations across the city. For a list of ARC card purchase locations, visit www.myarc.ca/features/where-to-buy.
HOW DO I ADD MY U-PASS TO THE ARC CARD?
1. Register your Arc card in your MyStudentSystem in the fee tile
- Select U-Pass – Arc Card.
- Click on the green “add new card” button – Add 19 digit Account Number found on the back of the card and the 3 digit verification Code found on the front (see below image) save.
A SUCCESSFUL ADDED CARD WILL HAVE AN ACTIVE ARC CARD STATUS
2. Add Term U-pass on the Arc Card by Clicking on the Active Card line – a new window will pop up. Change the toggle of the term to Yes.
If you don’t see a term to add, you may not be assessed the U-pass. Check your fee breakdown on your Enrolment and Account Summary in the Fees tile on your MyStudentSystem for the $180 U-Pass.
3. Read and accept the terms and conditions.
4. Save and Wait. It can take up to 8 hours to activate the U-Pass onto the card. Please check back that the U-pass Status is changed to active before use.
HOW DO I USE MY ARC CARD?
Tap your ARC Card when you get on and off the bus or LRT. A green checkmark will show that you are good to go.
WHERE CAN I USE MY U-PASS?
DO I NEED A NEW ARC CARD EVERY TERM?
No. Hang onto your Arc card and reload it each semester. Simply log onto your MyStudentSystem and add your next term U-Pass.
ARC CARD Troubleshooting
HOW DO I TAKE CARE OF MY ARC CARD?
The advanced technology inside the cards can be sensitive. Be sure to not punch holes in your card, do not bend it, and especially don’t attach your arc card to the back of your cell phone while it is charging! This will destroy the chip in the card, and you will have to get another one.
WHY AM I GETTING A “CARD READ ERROR”?
Very often, a “Card Read Error” can be caused by an RFID blocking wallet/card carrier that the students have placed the ARC card into, or a defective card. Students with a defective card should return to the SAMU Office SA-301 to replace their cards.
WHY AM I GETTING AN INSUFFICIENT FUNDS ERROR?
- The “insufficient funds” message is most likely because you have not successfully added your U-Pass onto the Arc card.
- Keep in mind, you need to add each term U-Pass onto your card and it may take up to 8 hours to activate the U-Pass from the MyStudentSystem Portal to the transit authorities. If you need support please contact the SAMU Office.
WHY AM I GETTING YELLOW WARNING?
In the last five days of the term, students will see a yellow warning on the validators letting them know that their pass will soon expire. It can be used as your reminder to add your next term U-pass.
HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT U-PASS? WE HAVE ANSWERS.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE U-PASS?
THE U-PASS IS ASSESSED TO ALL STUDENTS WHO HAVE AT LEAST ONE CREDITED IN-PERSON OR HYBRID CLASS.
Students who are taking all classes online or those who are in non-credit classes are not eligible for the U-pass. Check your Fees on your MyStudentSystem.
Not assessed the U-Pass, but think you should be? Contact us at https://samu.ca/contact/ and select the subject line “U-Pass” to let us know.
WHY DO WE HAVE THE U-PASS?
SIMPLY PUT STUDENTS VOTED FOR IT.
The U-Pass was overwhelmingly endorsed by MacEwan students through referenda in 2007, 2010, 2013, 2017, and 2021 to accept a mandatory fee assessment for the U-Pass.
WHY IS THE U-PASS MANDATORY?
A universal participation base is fundamental to the U-Pass concept, allowing the costs of transit service to be spread across a large population. Student buying power is also increased when pooled, which helps further bring the price down. To ensure that the U-Pass price remains low, all credited full-time and part-time on-campus students must be part of the program.
HOW MUCH IS THE U-PASS AND WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
The U-Pass fee will stay at a fixed rate of $180 per term starting Fall 2021 and ending in Spring 2025
- 2021-22: $180 per term
- 2022-23: $180 per term
- 2023-24: $180 per term
- 2024-25: $180 per term
MacEwan Collects the U-pass Fee and 100% of it is transferred to the transit providers to help fund the transit service.
WHAT ARE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE U-PASS?
- The U-Pass is not valid until it has been loaded onto compatible Smart Fare Media Card and the current calendar day is within the validity period for the U-Pass.
- The U-Pass is non-transferable, is not available for resale, and may only be used by the Participating Student to whom the U-Pass is issued.
- Edmonton Transit, St. Albert Transit, Strathcona County Transit, Spruce Grove Transit, Fort Saskatchewan Transit, Leduc Transit and Beaumont Transit, reserve the right to verify the validity of any Participating Student’s U-Pass.
- A Participating Student who fails to comply with the rules, regulations, policies and bylaws of Edmonton Transit, St. Albert Transit, Strathcona County Transit, Spruce Grove Transit, Fort Saskatchewan Transit, Leduc Transit, or Beaumont Transit respecting ridership may have their ridership privileges revoked without refund of the U-Pass Fee.
- Edmonton Transit, St. Albert Transit, Strathcona County Transit, Spruce Grove Transit, Fort Saskatchewan Transit, Leduc Transit, and Beaumont Transit reserve the right to modify their respective transit routes and schedules.
I LOST MY ARC CARD, WHAT DO I DO?
If your ARC card is lost or stolen follow the below steps to deactivate:
- Log on to your mystudentsystem and go to the fee tile and select “U-Pass-Arc Card” on the menu.
- Select the current active card – a pop-up window will open.
- Select a reason in the menu “Inactivate this Card for the reason” and Save.
You will need to get a new Arc card, register it, and add term U-pass.
HOW CAN I OPT OUT OF THE U-PASS PROGRAM?
Students can request a fee exemption from the U-Pass. Forms are found on your mystudentsytem in the Fee tile. Below is a list of the eligible exemptions with the type of documents required.
*PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CANNOT OPT OUT AFTER YOU ACTIVATE YOUR U-PASS
1. I have a Valid DATS registration, Strathcona County Mobility Bus registration, St Albert Handibus registration, Accessible Transit Service (ATS) registration, Fort Saskatchewan Special Transportation Services Society (STSS) registration or Leduc Assisted Transportation Services (LATS) registration.
Documents Required: Copy of my DATS registration, Strathcona County Mobility Bus registration, St Albert Handibus registration, Accessible Transit Service (ATS) registration Fort Saskatchewan Special Transportation Services Society (STSS) registration or Leduc Assisted Transportation Services (LATS) registration
- I have a valid CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind) registration.
Documents Required: Image of valid CNIB-issued photo ID card;
2. I am a Co-op/Practicum student taking no other classes on campus and the Co-op/Practicum is located outside of the boundaries of the participating municipalities for 8 or more consecutive weeks within a single term.
Documents Required: Letter from the program stating the length and location of the Co-op/ Practicum.
3. I am a current employee of a transit system owned and operated by any of the participating Municipalities.
Documents Required: Written confirmation on official letterhead of employment.
4. I am a current MacEwan Full time and continuing staff or Faculty.
Documents Required: Written confirmation on official letterhead of employment that the employee is full time and continuing or faculty
5. I am enrolled at MacEwan and another U-Pass partner school (University of Alberta, NAIT, or NorQuest College) and already paid for their U-Pass from the other institution.
Documents Required: Receipt with U-Pass fee paid from partner school
6. I am a student who turns 65 years of age or older during the relevant School Term
Documents Required: Image of Government issued picture ID to verify.
7. I am registered in the Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) program during the school Term
Documents Required: AISH verification letter (contact your AISH worker, or visit https://www.alberta.ca/contact-aish.aspx to request)
8. During the school term I am living greater than 100km radius from MacEwan where my in-person classes are delivered
Documents Required: Documentation verifying proof of residency (utility bill in the student’s name, driver’s license, etc).
OPT OUT DEADLINES:
Fall Term: September 30 at 4:00 p.m.
Winter Term: January 31 at 4:00 p.m.
Spring/Summer Term: May 30 at 4:00 p.m.